Appellate Court Orders Speed-Up of Arkansas School Desegregation
Press Release
October 30, 1965

Cite this item
-
Press Releases, Volume 3. Appellate Court Orders Speed-Up of Arkansas School Desegregation, 1965. 14c82265-b692-ee11-be37-00224827e97b. LDF Archives, Thurgood Marshall Institute. https://ldfrecollection.org/archives/archives-search/archives-item/df60da2f-3c79-4426-871c-b267e2f0400f/appellate-court-orders-speed-up-of-arkansas-school-desegregation. Accessed April 06, 2025.
Copied!
10 Columbus Cirele » New York, N.Y. 10019 JUdson 6-8397 Legal Defense and Educational Fund PRESS RELEASE President FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE Dr. Allan Knight Chalmers Saturday, " Director-Counsel October 30, 1965 Jack Greenberg APPELLATE COURT ORDERS SPEED-UP OF ARKANSAS SCHOOL DESEGREGATION Experimental "Freedom of Choice" Plan Modified For Further Integration ST, LOUIS--A Federal Circuit Court of Appeals here this week struck a blow at “freedom of choice" as a means of desegregating public schools. ¢ The three-judge court, acting on an appeal by the NAACP Legal Defense and Educational Fund, said a desegregation plan submitted by the El Dorado, Ark., school board did not go far enough om fast enough towards integrated education. r The Legal Defense Fund appealed a lower court decision © accepting a plan that would have given pupils the choice of which of the systems 10 white and eight Negro schools they wished to attend, 4 While agreeing with Fund attorneys that freedom of choice places the burden of desearegating education on Negro pupils and their parents rather than school officials, the court said such a plan was acceptable on an experimental basis. The court ruled that the school board must offer freedom of choice to the llth and 12th grades for the 1965-66 school year as well as to the first and second grades as outlined in the original plan. It further ordered desecregation of at least four additional grades for the following year, with all grades desegregated by the 1967-68 school year. The original plan was not to be fully implemented until the 1968-69 school year. Students who do not exercise their free choice should "be assigned to the school nearest their homes or on the basis of nonracial attendance zones" in accordance with guidelines laid down by the Department of Health, Education and Welfare, the court said. The court also agreed with a Legal Defense Fund argument that the school board should offer the choice of schools to pupils in every grade each year once the plan is fully operational. Although “freedom of choice has been recognized...as one method of achieving integration...it is still only in the experimental stage and it has not yet been demonstrated that such a method will fully implement the 1954 Supreme Court ruling against segregated education or the Civil Rights Act of 1964, the court said. In ordering further desegregation than was outlined in the original plan, the court warned that further delays in desegregating education should not be tolerated. "The bell was tolled for segregated schools more than a decade ago," the court said. "At this late date all discriminatory systems should have been eliminated.” "After eleven years of deliberation, discussion and delay, the courts should turn a deaf ear to arguments that now is not the ‘earliest practicable date.' ‘Whatever administrative difficulties may have been present at the outset could have been resolved by this time if compliance had been commenced in good faith and without hesitation. "Constitutional rights should no longer be permitted to remain in abeyance," the court said. The appellate court returned jurisdiction in the case to the Federal District Court, which will oversee the modificatians in the desegregation plan, and supervise faculty integration, for which the. Legal Defense Fund is also pressing: Jesse DeVore, Jr., Director of Public Information—Night Number 212 Riverside 9-8487 Ss